Newcastle 'very interested' in signing Bazoumana Toure - Sky Sports Germany
Anthony Gordon's time at Newcastle United looks to be up amid persistent rumours of a summer exit.
The left winger hasn't featured for the Magpies in the last three games despite being named in the match-day squad, and one fan noted on Sunday that the 25-year-old didn't join in with the end-of-season lap of honour.
Eddie Howe spoke a few weeks ago about not playing players who aren't 100% committed to the club, and even more recently said that his team selections of late have been with a view to the future, suggesting that he's only looking at players he believes will be here next season, which says a lot about Anthony Gordon's future without saying anything.
Wherever he ends up, Newcastle will have to replace him. Harvey Barnes could be bumped to first choice to play on the left, but we need more than just him, so another left-sided attacker will be required.
Toure exclusive backed up by Sky Germany
Earlier this month, an NUFC Blog exclusive brought you news that Newcastle United have been taking a close look at Hoffenheim winger Bazoumana Toure.
A fortnight later, Sky Sports Germany's Patrick Berger has confirmed that Newcastle are 'very interested' in the €40–50m-rated Ivorian, who appears to be an early contender to replace Bayern-bound Anthony Gordon.
However, it looks like we'll have our work cut out to land the 20-year-old, with Aston Villa, Liverpool, Manchester United and Brighton also in the mix, as Berger reports.
"Premier League clubs are chasing Bazoumana Touré (20), who is expected to leave Hoffenheim this summer after the club failed to qualify for the Champions League.
"Hoffenheim have been informed of enquiries from several clubs. Aston Villa and Newcastle are very interested; Liverpool, Brighton and Manchester United are all monitoring the situation. The price tag is around €40–50m (£34-43m), which would make Touré Hoffenheim’s record sale."
A tough ask without Europe?
Toure has been in stunning form for Hoffenheim this season, racking up 12 assists to go along with five goals in his 30 Bundesliga appearances.
Those of you with a keen eye will already have spotted a big problem, though. The winger could leave Hoffenheim because they failed to qualify for the Champions League, so will he choose Newcastle over the other interested Premier League sides who will all have European football on offer?
Newcastle's slim European hopes ended last night when Chelsea beat Tottenham, so we'd have to come up with one hell of a sales pitch to convince him to join us over the likes of Aston Villa, Liverpool or Man United.